Mini PC Forum - ACEPC

Full Version: Thoroughly frustrated
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Received a Acepc T11 as a gift from a friend. Brand new in the box. Unboxed it and immediately took a an image of the internal eMMC using Clonezilla (imaged to any external HD).

My plan was to install Proxmox VE on the box and use it as a low end Hypervisor for running a couple of VM's. Without considering that the device might not support legacy boot in the BIOS (or that it was pure UEFI), I booted up a copy of GPARTED live and immediately blew away all the partitions on the eMMC.  What a mistake this has turned out to be. 

I'm currently trying to get Debian installed on the box. It's been a futile effort as in the rare case where I can get the unit to recognize a bootable Debian installer USB flash drive, the install is insanely show. Hardware detection takes forever and the step where the disk partitioner starts up takes hours and never seems to complete. 

I believe my issues are related to the missing EFI partition on the eMMC. I've tried every possible means of creating a bootable USB flash drive, most of which aren't even recognized (power on the unit and sorting there at a hung 'Press Delete or Escape' AMI prompt). 

I've tried various bootable Linux distros, including Debian MultiArch and the Rufus windows utility selecting GPT partitioning and using DD mode to write the image to disk. Unfortunately, no success. I either cannot get the T11 to recognize the flash drive as a boot device at all (hung BIOS prompt), or in the rare case where it will recognize the flash drive as a bootable device, the text based installer is insanely slow and I just end up pulling the plug. 

At this point, I'd be happy to get the unit to a point where I can even restore the Clonezilla image I took of the original eMMC contents when I Unboxed it. I'd just like to see it work as a computer. 

Please help. Thankful for any advice
(11-18-2018, 04:39 AM)tech101 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll respond to myself. Solution to my problem:

1.) Format FAT16 USB flash drive (GPT partition scheme\one FAT16 4GB partition)
2.) Mount 32 bit clonezilla live ISO image 
3.) Copy all contents of clonezilla live ISO image into the 4GB partition\filesystem on the FAT16 USB flash drive)
4.) Boot the AcePC off the USB flash drive, and run Clonezilla live
5.) Restore the image I took of the eMMC when the device was opened out of the box
6.) Downloaded and updated the UEFI\BIOS to the latest "Auto-On" release
7.) Now I'm up and running in Windows

What next? Try my Debian install again...

---
Received a Acepc T11 as a gift from a friend. Brand new in the box. Unboxed it and immediately took a an image of the internal eMMC using Clonezilla (imaged to any external HD).

My plan was to install Proxmox VE on the box and use it as a low end Hypervisor for running a couple of VM's. Without considering that the device might not support legacy boot in the BIOS (or that it was pure UEFI), I booted up a copy of GPARTED live and immediately blew away all the partitions on the eMMC.  What a mistake this has turned out to be. 

I'm currently trying to get Debian installed on the box. It's been a futile effort as in the rare case where I can get the unit to recognize a bootable Debian installer USB flash drive, the install is insanely show. Hardware detection takes forever and the step where the disk partitioner starts up takes hours and never seems to complete. 

I believe my issues are related to the missing EFI partition on the eMMC. I've tried every possible means of creating a bootable USB flash drive, most of which aren't even recognized (power on the unit and sorting there at a hung 'Press Delete or Escape' AMI prompt). 

I've tried various bootable Linux distros, including Debian MultiArch and the Rufus windows utility selecting GPT partitioning and using DD mode to write the image to disk. Unfortunately, no success. I either cannot get the T11 to recognize the flash drive as a boot device at all (hung BIOS prompt), or in the rare case where it will recognize the flash drive as a bootable device, the text based installer is insanely slow and I just end up pulling the plug. 

At this point, I'd be happy to get the unit to a point where I can even restore the Clonezilla image I took of the original eMMC contents when I Unboxed it. I'd just like to see it work as a computer. 

(11-20-2018, 01:15 AM)tech101 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-18-2018, 04:39 AM)tech101 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll respond to myself. Solution to my problem:

3.) Copy all contents of clonezilla live ISO image into the 4GB partition\filesystem on the FAT16 USB flash drive)
5.) Restore the image I took of the eMMC when the device was opened out of the box

---

You seem to be a geek in PC, brother. How about other Mini PCs? Do you have similar experience?
(11-18-2018, 04:39 AM)tech101 Wrote: [ -> ]...

Good luck with Linux. I had struggled for weeks (two years ago) doing the same thing on a similar box (an Acer Revo Build).  Finally got it working via the UEFI load method by finding someone who released a Grub Boot Loader with the proper key.  One of the 4 I bought had to remain Win10 but, being 32GB, has now run out of room (have a piece of software that requires MS SQL DB which cannot be on anything but the OS partition.  The DB grew to 8 GB.  Hence bought the T11 with 64GB to replace the Revo with 32GB; need to run Win10.

So curious why you did not try the techniques listed on the webpages to load the WinOS: https://www.iacepc.com/how-to-reinstall-...-on-acepc/ with the download apparently here: https://www.iacepc.com/download/?  AM concerned because earlier users of the links to the images indicated the WiFi driver was not correct and would not install / work correctly.  I was shipped a return T11 (unexpected) from Amazon that has the user / password already set.  Manufacturer has not been responsive yet and nothing on the website here for doing a recovery when locked out.  Was looking for an easy way to reset to factory settings and am suspecting reinstalling the OS from a USB stick is the only way.  But then how to get the Win10 license code for this particular machine.  (The link instructions above ignores the issue.  But an earlier post in the forum with more detailed instructions (https://www.iacepc.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=34) gives a single, generic license code to enter; which does not seem correct.)  Do not want to reimage the machine and then find out the OS is no longer licensed.
I have Debian, Ubuntu. Fedora, and Pop-Os distros and Windows Server 2016 (licensed) running on a 500 GB SSD. I discovered if you install the Server first, everything works except for the issue of Linux defaults to a laptop and batteries. Only Debian uses the Power Supply.

---

Use Ethcher and SD Card Formatter