Windows 10 – Cortana Introduction
What is Cortana?
Cortana is your truly personal digital assistant working across all your Windows 10 devices to help you get things done. Users can interact with Cortana using the most natural input methods for the device they are on. That means users can either type or speak (provided those inputs are available – e.g. speech interaction requires a microphone).
Cortana/Search is the first place to go for any information. Cortana/Search uses Bing to search the web, and also search your PC. You can find help, apps, files, settings – so much information in one place. The information in the Get Started app, content on Windows Online, and additional Instant Answers will be available through Cortana/Search.
What versions of Windows support Cortana?
- Cortana is available on Windows 10 devices (both desktop and mobile).
- Only available in specific languages
What devices support Cortana?
All Windows 10 devices support Cortana.
- In order to speak to Cortana using your voice, the device must have a microphone.
- All of Cortana’s functionality can still be accessed using the keyboard and mouse.
How do I enable Cortana?
- Cortana is available in your language
- Opt into Cortana
- Sign into Microsoft Account
What’s “Hey Cortana”?
Cortana’s available at your command – no touching required. Just say “Hey Cortana” to get started. Activating Cortana hands-free makes multi-tasking a breeze.
- Cortana can be invoked hands-free by simply saying “Hey Cortana”.
- On desktop / tablet / 2 in 1 this feature is available when Cortana with voice is available (requires microphone).
- This feature can be turned on/off, and requires user training for accuracy.
When you select the search box on the taskbar, Cortana will be there to suggest info that might interest you and help you get things done. Select one of her suggestions or use the search box to ask her a question.
If you choose to turn off Cortana, you can still do search.
Enter the criteria in the search box on the taskbar to get suggestions and answers to your questions from your PC and the Internet.
Enter the key word and click Search my stuff to find results for apps, settings, photos, videos, and music across your PC and OneDrive.